Sunday, August 28, 2011

I Don't Want to Be Fabulous; I Just Want to Be Faithful.

Lately I've been having a hard time focusing on the right things. I'm not a materialistic person, but it's still easy for me to lose sight of what really matters. Recently, I guess I've been lost in how glamorous other people and their lives seem to be. So many people seem to be brilliant, beautiful, adventurous, blissful, care free, stylish, and basically perfect. But I'm none of those things and it's been bothering me to the point that I dislike those people and have become unhappy with me and my life.

Today in church, as I was listening to the speaker, a thought came into my mind so clearly that I could almost hear someone saying it: "I don't want to be fabulous; I just want to be faithful." I didn't know where that thought came from but I started analyzing it's meaning. A few definitions of the word fabulous are "almost impossible to believe; told about in fables; purely imaginary; known about only through myths or legends." Yet, that's what society seems to be attempting today. You have to be fabulous or you're nothing, essentially.

But is that what's important in this life? To have others think that you're something they could never achieve? I think not. The first and greatest commandment is to love the Lord with all our heart. If we love God, we will faithfully follow Him. A few definitions of the word faithful are "true to one's word, promises, vows, etc; steady in allegiance or affection; loyal; constant; adhering or true to a fact, a standard, or an original." But my favorite definition of faithful is "reliable, trusted, or believed." How I long to be trusted by my Heavenly Father! I would love for Him to see me as reliable; someone He can believe and believe in because of how I live my life.

For now though, I'm working on it. I have such a long ways to go that it can feel overwhelming at times. I feel so immature in the ways of God and I know I have SO many things I need to change. But I want to change. I want to become the person the Lord knows I can be so that He can trust me with the really big things in life.

What strikes me the most about this sentence that popped in my mind today is that the first part (fabulous) is something that is unbelievable and unattainable. The second (faithful) is something that is so meek and simple. That's how I want to be. I don't want people to see me as something so glamorous they feel they could never get there (because fabulous ultimately is imaginary). I want people to see me as something they can do too so they can feel joyful about God, about themselves, and about life.  It's a good thing we have the perfect example to teach us how to get there.


1 comment:

  1. I strive for ghetto fabulous......love you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete