Sunday, April 17, 2011

Charity Never Faileth

What do you think of when you hear the word Charity? I think most people think of donating money, goods, or services to those in need. That's certainly a part of it. Others who are familiar with Christ's gospel think of "the pure love of Christ" when they hear the word. Definitely true as well. But I contend there's more to it that most of us don't even think about.

Today in church, a man was speaking about charity and quoted President Monson (President of the LDS church, Prophet of God for the world) on this topic:

" I consider charity "or the pure love of Christ" to be the opposite of criticism and judging. In speaking of charity, I do not at this moment have in mind the relief of the suffering through the giving of our substance. That, of course, is necessary and proper. Tonight, however, I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind of charity that is patient.

I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others." (end of quote)

He then further defines specific attributes of charity, some of which we may not have thought of as acts of charity:

*
giving attention to those who are unnoticed
* giving hope to those who are discouraged
* giving aid to those who are afflicted
 * refusing to find satisfaction in hearing or in repeating the reports of misfortunes that come to others unless by so doing, the unfortunate one may be benefitted.
* having patience with someone who has let us down
* resisting the impulse to become offended easily
* accepting weaknesses and shortcomings
* accepting people as they truly are
* looking beyond physical appearances
* resisting the impulse to categorize others

There are definitely those famous people that pop right into our heads when we think about charity (Mother Theresa for instance) but as I listened to this today, my husband came to mind first. I know, y'all are probably sick of hearing about him non stop for the last few posts, but he's a pretty cool guy. It's funny, he probably doesn't even really think of himself as charitable, but he's one of the least judgmental, most concerned, quickest to forgive, patient people I know. And let's not even start about how giving he is to people who (by most standards) "don't deserve it."

When it comes to charity within our marriage, he's a rockstar. He doesn't surprise me with flowers just because (which is good because I'd get annoyed that he just wasted money on something that will wilt the next day), he doesn't swoon over how beautiful I am all the time, he doesn't leave me love notes telling me how "lucky he is to have me," he doesn't threaten to beat up any guy who's looking at me. He's REAL. He doesn't lose his temper with me. When I'm chewing him out, he doesn't yell back. He's oh so patient with my shortcomings (which are MANY). He doesn't have the incessant need (that I have) to make sure I know when I'm wrong. He's kind. He's very forgiving. He works hard. He thinks positively of me. He gives me the benefit of the doubt. He loves me and he shows it through these things.

And you know what? He's like this with everybody. Basically, I want to grow up to be like him. I need to work on my charity and I'm going to....starting....now.


(Oh ya know, just a cute picture of my sweet niece loving on her brand new brother.
She's got a lot of charity for him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment